Teaching, training, supporting and assessing
- You should be prepared to contribute to teaching and training doctors and students.
You should also be willing to contribute to the education and training of other colleagues within the occupational health team. If you are involved in teaching you must develop the skills, attitudes and practices of a competent teacher.
- You must make sure that all staff you manage have appropriate supervision.
This and other responsibilities of doctors leading occupational health teams are described in the previous section.
- You must be honest and objective when writing references, and when appraising or assessing the performance of colleagues, including locums and students. References must include all information relevant to your colleagues’ competence, performance and conduct.16.
- You should be willing to take on a mentoring role for more junior doctors and other healthcare professionals.1.
You should also be willing to contribute to the mentorship of other colleagues within the occupational health team.
- You must support colleagues who have problems with their performance or health. But you must put patient safety first at all times.1.